Saturday, March 7, 2009

Unexpected Releases

I headed out this Tuesday to pick up my copy of the new Neko Case album, Middle Cyclone. It was a planned purchase, one that I had been looking forward to for a while now. One of the great things about knowing when your favorite artists/authors are releasing new material is the opportunity to do a little research and really get excited (or worried) about what's to come. This had been the case with Middle Cyclone, and I was extremely excited when its release date rolled around. I love Neko Case, she's one of my favorites. This album has not disappointed with the earthy animal lyrics and her powerful voice, although it took me several listens to really get into it. I will admit though, while I do think she's brilliant and probably one of the best out there today, I kind of don't understand the 30 minutes of cricket noises at the end. I mean, don't get me wrong, it's very relaxing at bedtime. On the other hand, I can open a window and hear the same frog and cricket noises. Maybe it's for the unfortunate people in the city who are not able to hear these peaceful sounds at night. Any thoughts on this?

So, while at Barnes and Noble, I happened upon another of the great perks of being a fan of a certain artist/author. I walked in and saw the new Jodi Picoult novel displayed right at the front of the store! Now, for me, this pleasure was just as great as the expected purchase I was there to make. I knew there was a new one coming out in March, but I had obviously neglected to find the release date. The fact that I hadn't really done much research on this new book, Handle with Care, was really just as thrilling. I have been a Jodi Picoult fan since I spent a lovely beach trip in high school reading The Pact. She has a way of illustrating hot-button topics in today's society more clearly than most other writers that I read. It's also impossible to put her books down once you get started, and this one was no exception. It took me about two days to finish and was classic Picoult. I didn't know much about osteogenesis imperfecta before reading this and, as with most of her novels, I found myself wondering what would I do if I was the one in this situation. I think that's an earmark of a good book, it's thought provoking. Just because a book is a "quick read" doesn't always detract from it's merit. That's what I love about Jodi Picoult.

Enough of that gushing, I merely wanted to point out that while the anticipation of something you're really looking forward to is great, sometimes what's really exciting is stumbling upon a surprise.

P.S. I heartily recommed both this book and this album! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment