Monday, June 8, 2009

Stranded on an Island? Bring these....

I've always wanted to make a book list. Not because I'm an expert (although I do read a LOT), but just because I like thinking about things like this. I happen to think these books should be on everyone's book shelf, but if anyone has some better suggestions, please share!! I love a lively book discussion.

1. Little House on the Prairie (entire series), Laura Ingalls Wilder: I'm counting this as one number because I can't pick just one. These were some of my favorite books growing up and spending a lot of summers in Minnesota as a child I actually got to see some of these places!
2. Anne of Green Gables (entire series), L.M Montgomery: This is the last series that I count as one book, I promise. These books changed my childhood. I credit them, and my very literate parents, for my love of books and all things dreamy. If you have a child, please give them these books.
3. Andre Dubus- Collected Stories: I believe these stories were the beginning of my short story obsession. His writing is just superb, that's all there is to say.
4. The Stone Diaries, Carol Shields: This book chronicles the life of its main character from the day of her birth and past her death. It is an old-fashioned great story. No gimmicks, no experiments, just great writing. Oh, it also won a Pulitzer, which never hurts.
5. Little Women, Louisa May Alcott: Every woman has probably read this at some time in her girlhood. If you haven't, you still should even if you're grown. If for no other reason than to have a better background for the next book on this list. Also, who didn't want to be Jo March as a child?
6. March, Geraldine Brooks: Here, Geraldine Brooks gives us the story of Mr. March, who is absent for all but a small portion of Alcott's novel. We are told he is off to war. This book is his story. I was so fascinated by this story, not just because of the original novel. This is a wonderful story all on its own. I highly recommend it. Brooks based the character on Alcott's own father whose own life makes for pretty good reading also.
7. Empire Falls, Richard Russo: I'm a sucker for small town sagas. This book is excellent fall reading, when the leaves are turning on the trees. The story is set in a sad, small town whose industry is all but dead. Yet, Russo gives us such a compelling story about very realistic people. Be forewarned, there are some passages about animal abuse that I found hard to stomach, but this Pulitzer-winner is very much worth the read.
8. One Hundred Years of Solitude, Gabriel Garcia Marquez: It's true, I read the first 75 pages of this book three times before I got any further. If you can make it past the part about the ice, you're home free. The rest of this book is amazing. It's funny, tragic, and has the touch of surrealism that's trademark in Marquez's work. I recommend this book a lot, but no one ever seems to read it. Come on guys, it's great!
9. Woman: An Intimate Geography, Natalie Angier: I read this book when I need to be reminded how great it is to be a woman. Angier writes in a very accessible way about all the things that make women women. It's full of biology, anatomy, hormones. Basically, all the things that separate us from the men. If you want to be in awe of the way your body looks, smells, feels, and works, read this now.
10. Anne Sexton- The Complete Poems: This is the only poetry included in this list. The rawness of Sexton's poetry voices a lot of feelings that women are often afraid to voice. I love anyone who's not afraid to face down the very hard, very real issues in life.
11. And the Band Played On, Randy Shilts: I may have read this book more than any other book on this list. It seems that every few years I get the urge to read it again. It's essentially the story of the beginning of the AIDS epidemic in America. I think this should be required reading for everyone. It is an eye-opening look at how politics and prejudice can get in the way of so many important things. AIDS is just one of these things, but a better example will not be found. It's also a fascinating story of the people who championed this cause when no one else was listening.
12. The Namesake, Jhumpa Lahiri: Lahiri may very well be one of the best new writers out there. She is most known for her short story collections, her first of which won the Pulitzer. This is her only novel so far, and I was blown away by it. I admire her writing for its simplicity. It always amazes me when an author can pack so much into a story by using plain, simple language. The story centers around an Indian family and their children growing up in America, and all the cultural confusion that ensues. You really can't go wrong with anything by Lahiri, just read her.

I think I'll save the second half of this list for another post. I'd love to get some feedback on what would be on your list.

3 comments:

  1. I liked March too, but I am surprised there is none of your Erdrich or Kingsolver on this list... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. hell yeah! Barbara is a fav of mine!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Props for including my girl Anne Sexton! I love you! Can't wait for the second half!

    ReplyDelete