Monday, June 15, 2009

My New Love

I have a new love in my life. It is my new NEO by AlphaSmart. If you don't know what a NEO is, it is essentially a word processor. It's nothing else, absolutely simple. And I'm in love with it. This no doubt makes me a total nerd, but that's a label I'm perfectly willing to claim.

It's a full size keyboard that runs on three AA batteries and has enough memory to hold a full size novel. It has approximately 700 hours of battery power, so you can pretty much just type and type and never run out of power. It also has one simple "on" button that immediately places you back at the last place you were typing.

I can't brag about it enough. You just transfer files to the computer by a USB cable. It's only weighs a pound or two, and according to the manufacturers it is pretty much indestructible. No more carrying around bulky notebooks, now I just throw my NEO in my bag and go. I can type anytime, anywhere.

It has no Internet, no solitaire, nothing extra. I find it to be extremely freeing. And I also find myself writing with much more frequency now that I don't have to spend a ton of time waiting for a computer to boot up or worrying that the battery is going to die. I'm not the only one who loves it though; I found this a minute ago:

Anyhow, enough about my new gadget. (Is it still a gadget if it's actually a technological step backward?)

I have just finished The Likeness by Tana French. It blew my mind just like her last book In The Woods. They are technically thrillers I suppose, but they are rich with imagery and thick plot. I highly recommend both, although I would start with In The Woods as The Likeness has some elements of being a sequel. Beware! These books are lengthy and aren't quick reads. However, you will be unable to stop once you get into them. So make sure you have a large chunk of time to read! :)

1 comment:

  1. It is super neat I have to say; if I could only wrestle it away from her... ;)

    ReplyDelete